Monday, May 02, 2005

The enjoyment of bonsai

Hi my name is Harold Yearout and I started this blog The Living Bonsai simply because I wanted to tell others about my life long hobby and hopefully at the same time enlighten them along the way.

The joys I have received from this most wonderful and rewarding hobby are to endless to say but you can trust me when I say that it has been and still is one of my life long passions.

To really enjoy the art of bonsai you must first be willing to give of your time and not be afraid of getting your hands in the dirt and above all have patience. You will have your ups and downs for sure like anyone that does this for a hobby.

But the real secret is to remain steadfast and keep on trying and keep on learning. Study what you do not know and ask of the others that are in the no and you will learn.

If you’re really into it like me then you will derive many joys from your plants. But there are the times that are sad also such as when one of your favorites dies.

Trust me when I say it will happen it has happened to the best of us many times. You may simply forget to do something right along the way and opps sorry but you will have a dead plant.

But most of all do not ever let this bother you to the point that you get discouraged and you stop pursuing your hobby. Because you can always start another plant and just learn from your mistake.

I wanted today to touch on something that has not happened yet in my blog and that is no one has made a comment or no one has ask any questions and that sort of bothers me.

Why because I want this blog to hopefully be informative and helpful and I also want to build along the way some lasting friendships with others that may be interested in this hobby and want to exchange ideas and just plain chat about bonsai.

I’m developing a web site and will post the URL to it when it is ready for everyone to see in the mean time I will continue to post here and to write my ramblings about this hobby of mine.

If I can be of any help to anyone please ask if I do not have the answer I will certainly get you an answer or direct you to someone that can help.

I’m no guru for sure and I do not profess to have all the answers. I truly believe that no one has them all we will simply learn from many individuals in our life time and it is also my opinion that the person who remains in the dark because they will not ask is the looser.

So come on and ask your questions and come on and post your comments and help me to build a better web site and a better blog about the wonderful world of…. The Living Bonsai.

Oh and before I forget I just posted a picture of a little starter plant that I’m absolutely thrilled with. The reason I’m so thrilled is because this is one of my favorites as a bonsai material.

I had to search for a very long time even here in the Great Northwest to lay my hands on even a starter plant of this material.

Now that I have finally found one it will take years to train as a bonsai because of the very slow growth habit of this tree.

But that also reinforces what I said above and that is you must have patience to be involved in this hobby, after all Rome was not built in a day and most assuredly bonsai are not created in a day.

But you can sometimes get a jump on it by getting a plant that is already started and simply take it from there and improve on it and train it to have the desired look you want.

I guess what I’m really trying to impart here is just have fun and try to get as much out of it as you can.

Respectfully Yours, Harold Yearout

Oh PS: As you can probably see I do not know too much about blogging either, at least from the aspects of making it look better.

I would like to have my own look and feel but have not learned yet what I need to do in order to make that happen. I would like to have my own graphic header and perhaps even a better looking template for my blog.

So if there is anyone out there that can help me out then by all means contact me.

No comments: